Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Today I was a super hero. I was also a villian, but I ended as a super hero, so that is the important part.

I am still adjusting to this all day school thing. Kindergarten was easy. Sign the folder- send them off. They were only there for 2 hours, they didn't go outside for recess, so if you forgot a hat or something--no biggie. A chilly bus ride is not that catastrophic. Enter this year...this is a whole new world. Homework, spelling tests, recess in the cold, and school lunches...this is serious business. Today was just one of those mornings I did not have my game face on.

At the beginning of the year I thought I was off the hook when it came to lunches. Tori and I read over the hot lunch offerings and every day but two the first month she was getting the lunch. And the amazing thing was she seemed to really like soggy french toast sticks and cafeteria macaroni and cheese. She only passed on shrimp poppers (ick!) and chicken patties (75% gristle, 25% some kind of chicken). Well, today I was running a little behind. We passed on riding the bus this morning to gain some extra time, but we still found ourselves rushing out the door, throwing on all the outdoor necessities as we went. As I loaded the Mace into the van, I knew in my head we had forgot to check lunch. But, knowing we were already cutting it close, I figured she could just eat the school lunch--no problemo. To my dismay, I came home and checked the calendar---Chicken patties--what are the chances. I could just imagine the horror in her face when Mr. Suzuki told her what the hot lunch was. I could hear her telling Mr. Suzuki that her mom had forgotten to pack her lunch. I imagined she reluctantly made her choice and was planning the lecture that I was going to receive when she exited the bus that afternoon.

Seriously, if it was anything besides chicken patties, I would have let it go. (well, maybe shrimp poppers) But chicken patties--my conscience would not let me. So, following an appointment that Macie, Isabelle and I had this morning we headed off to Super Target (cuz truth be told I had not been shopping this week, so I couldn't have made her a lunch anyway). We navigated through the aisles being sure to get those school lunchy things like drinkable yogurt and peanut butter and cheese crackers. I made my purchases and hurried back to Bloomington. I wasn't sure if her lunch was at 11:14 or 11:40. I honestly thought I had missed it. But I went straight to Washburn, weeded through my grocery bags to pack a perfect school lunch (well, minus the sweet message on the napkin) and hurried into the school. I signed in and got my visitor badge and walked quickly down to the lunchroom. I surveyed each table, looking for that precious face--hoping she was not already at recess. I recognized some of the first graders from her class last year, but not this year. I looked to the left where some children were getting their trays and preparing to go through the lunch line. I saw Mr. Suzuki--relief--I quickly scanned through her class and there, standing 4 people from the front of the line stood Tori- standing with her tray, picking up her chocolate milk and heading to the counter where the infamous chicken patties were being served. I ran over. She said "What are you doing here?" She smiled to see I was holding her lunch box. I told her she could get the hot lunch if she wanted, but she quickly took her lunch box and handed me her tray. With a thank you she continued on in her line looking completely relieved to be bypassing the chicken patties. Mr. Suzuki gave me a thumbs up (which confirmed to me that she was not happy this morning when she ordered her lunch). I smiled, blew her a kiss, and headed home. Da-da- dum....SUPER MOM! (hopefully she will forget that it was my fault in the first place).

p.s. I totally would have brought her McDonalds to really be the hero, but that is discouraged in the school handbook. =)

12 comments:

Full of JOY said...

uuummm SUPER MOM...this is NOT helping your cause to prove that you are NOT superwoman...SUPER MOM is TOTALLY super woman!!!!!

gretchen said...

no super mom is totally different...I don't know why it just is. And especially today cuz I was supermom just by doing the thing that I am supposed to do normally I just did it in dramatic fashion.

y2krust said...

Gretchen, I love your blog. It makes me a little sad knowing that I'll never get to know your girls . . . but this helps. The write you write is very entertaining. :-) But I don't understand how McDonald's is healthier than a 75% grissle 25% chicken patty. ???? Does Tori enjoy the salads? ;-)

y2krust said...

I meant "the way you write." Lol

gretchen said...

she actually loves the salads--I don't think McDonalds is discouraged for the health factor I think it is so other kids don't get sad and jealous.

and never say never....

Amy said...

Is it weird that reading this entry made me cry? Great.

You are a sweet, super mom!

Eric said...

You're definitely a rockstar....however, I've created this very cheesy, awkward, hilarious picture in my head of Mr. Suzuki (whom I have no idea what he looks like) giving you the thumbs up - and I can't stop laughing thinking about it!

Anonymous said...

Great post!! You sure came through as the super mom!!! Way to go, Gretchen!

Unknown said...

Thats so sweet of you Gretchen, I have to admit something horrible, Hannah loves the chicken patty! HAHA so gross, but whatever as long as i give her good food that night it all evens itself out right? Im sure Tori was so relieved that you did that for her. And I have to agree with Eric Mr. S with a thumbs up the name along with the visual just cracks me up!

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better. It was great to see you guys yesterday. What was that website you were telling me about that has homemade items for sale???

Tara said...

HA HA HA HA! This is a great story!

Anonymous said...

gretchen... supermom is TOTALLY different than superwoman, so you're in the clear! you're just being a good mom! plus, it's not like you are doing this for her EVERY day! so keep up the great work of being the supermom!