Friday, October 10, 2008

Kindergarten Teacher for a day (well, more like 5 minutes)...but I was AMAZING! ;)

Macie and I were volunteers in Isabelle's kindergarten class today. Every Friday the kindergartners do stations and her teacher, Mrs. Sickman, has parent volunteers come in and help with their projects. Well, I drove the girls to school this morning and headed down to her classroom a little early. Mrs. Sickman was not there, but several of the students were sitting at their tables working on puzzles or reading books. They all stopped, of course, to say hello to Macie (she is quite popular) and then they would ask me what my name was again (I am not quite as popular). And then it happened, the bell rang and all the children popped to their feet. I told them to sit down, but then they told me it was time for school to start and they needed to do the Pledge of Allegiance. Mrs. Sickman was still not there and all 19 of their cute little kindergarten faces were looking at me to take the lead. So, I did it. I took my place at the front of the classroom, put my hand over my heart and said the Pledge of Allegiance. Then all of the children found their place on the circle and they helped me lead them through calendar time. Mrs. Sickman came in just as we were about to discover what day of the week it was today, and I handed them over to her far more experienced hands. So, there you go...my teaching debut. Not too bad, of course, it helps when their real teacher has them very well trained in the morning routine (she is an amazing kindergarten teacher) and the 5 year old kindergartners have a better clue as to what is going on then you do. But Macie and I had a great time helping making M&M graphs in the classroom today. As we left the kids all said goodbye to Macie over and over and over and over again, and then they said goodbye to me because the teacher told them to. ;) Happy Friday!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

How stinkin' adorable : ). I want to go to a Kindergarten classroom again. I told Kaishon's teachers that I would love to come in and help some time, but no one wanted me. At least not yet. I am glad Macie is a Kindergarten Super Star : )! Your teaching debut earns you an A plus. Like always!

Full of JOY said...

HA! That is awesome!! I think I almost teared up at the pledge part!!! Amazing. My Grampy would be so happy that they're still doing it...

Anonymous said...

that is too funny. way to go! And I love how they all love macie and you ... well, at least the teacher made them say goodbye!

Richardson Family said...

I think you have the touch!!